Waikari - Christchurch: Going to church...

Monday November 15, 2010, 74 km (46 miles) - Total so far: 1,216 km (755 miles)

Time: 3:51 Distance: 73.91 km Average: 19.2 kph Max: 43.2 kph Altitude Gain: 162 m

As the forecasters had promised, by this morning the southerly wind had died down and the cloud was beginning to clear.

After a leisurely breakfast and a chat with my host, I set out just as the last gentle mist of rain fell to tackle Weka Pass. It was no obstacle - in my direction of travel it was all downhill, through a gorge with some interesting rock formations, one of which apparently resembles a frog. It looked like a rock to me.

Clearing the gorge, I was once again riding across the Canterbury Plains, and in short time I arrived at the junction with SH1, and soon after at Amberley, where I had planned to turn back to Arthur's Pass and the west coast.

I felt little regret however as I passed the turn-off and continued south. By now a gentle north east breeze was helping me along a flat landscape, and my legs felt fresh and strong.

After a little more than 3 hours riding I reached the outskirts of Christchurch, and by early afternoon rode down Colombo Street and into Cathedral Square for the finishing photos.

Now how long is it since I stood here for a photo with my bike? It seems a very long time ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment